Here’s the annual Halloween costume for my daughter. For the last 3 years, she chose to be a different Disney Princess each year, but apparently she’s moved on. I’m not a fan of the Princesses, and neither is she, so I didn’t mind that much. However, they were very fun to make, and I really wanted to make Belle’s gown, but she didn’t pick it and I haven’t seen a pattern for it in a while.
Anyway, she changed her mind several times over the past year, and finally decided to be a cowgirl. This was after choosing various animals and me explaining that we live in Florida and she would be really hot in a faux fur costume.
This is the pattern she chose:
She loves pink, so I bought pink gingham for the dress. I got some of that shitty suedecloth Joann’s tries to pass off as garment fabric, and the same trim on the envelope. Total cost, including a $4 cowgirl hat from Michaels: $32.
I’m just a little paranoid about posting pics of my daughter after I’ve read a couple blogs where folks have posted similar sentiments, but I don’t know how to blur her face, so here you go.
The pattern itself is good, but I missed a major step due to following the pictures and not reading the text. On step 16, it instructs you to attach the bodice to the skirt. However, the picture doesn’t show the bodice, so I missed this step. I didn’t notice until after I’d put the casing and elastic on the skirt and wondered how I was supposed to attach the bodice! Ugh. Actually, it’s not even that clear that it IS a dress, because in the drawings it’s shown with the belt over it, so it could just as easily be separates. And that’s what we ended up with. I attached some plush elastic to the bottom of the bodice and made a top. Thankfully, the belt covers everything. My daughter loved the costume and all was right in the world. For about a minute…