Sorry about the long absence. Life handed me a little bit of the unexpected. If you’re a regular reader, you know that I’ve been trying to buy one house or another for months. Well, yet another one didn’t work out, but I took it as a sign to wait till next year and buy in a neighboring county that I like a lot better than the one I live in now. I’ve also given up some of my available sewing time (weekends) because, after 2 1/2 years of singledom, I met a really great guy. It’s still pretty new- about 5 weeks- but it’s going surprisingly well. He lives an hour away, so I’ve been staying at his apartment all weekend while our respective kids are with their other parents.
Now it’s time to show you what I’ve sewn during my absence:
New Look 6969, view D:
Here’s the envelope pic:
I finished this one today, and boy did I need a skirt! I’m between the 2 sizes in my closet, so not much is fitting right now. This is cotton twill, which I bought to make a trench coat, but since I still haven’t solved my fitting problems, I decided to use this fabric for stuff I can wear now instead. (I’m not a stasher.) Despite my nervousness, putting in an invisible zipper is apparently like riding a bike; you don’t forget how. I used that Waist-Former waistband interfacing stuff for the first time, and I love the results. This thing actually looks professional! I didn’t feel like setting up my camera and the timer, so you get a crappy camera phone in the mirror pic. :) Cost: $9
Next up is Butterick 5495. I think I picked the wrong fabric. It sticks out like a maternity top, but I think it’d lay flat just fine if it was a drapier fabric. I like it enough that I’ll try it again. Cost: $10 Any ideas on how to salvage this?
And here’s the envelope pic:
Last month, I decided to make another swimsuit! This one I didn’t morph into something completely different like last time. This time I used Kwik Sew, 3696:
I’m probably going to wear this this weekend, so if I do, I’ll get a pic of me wearing it, since this isn’t the best pic. Once again, it was insanely easy to make. After I finished it and tried it on, I became convinced that the swimwear industry is just one big racket. This thing cost about $10 to make, people! And I’m thinking it was about 2 hours to make, start to finish. And it actually fits me! I cut a small on top and the bottom was a medium and back to small at the hips, if I remember correctly. One warning- if you’re busty, the girls are gonna be a focal point when you’re wearing this!! cost: $15
And the envelope pic:
Finally, here’s a dress I made awhile ago, just never got around to getting a picture of. This pic is horrible, so hopefully next time I wear this I’ll remember to get a decent picture for you. This is McCall’s 6118:
Cost: $11. I also made the zipper flower pin that you can barely see. Here’s the pattern pic:
Well, that’s it for now! Not sure what I’ll be making up next. I ordered several cuts of that rayon/Lycra that was on sale recently at Fabric.com, so I might make something from that.