I am so thrilled with this costume, and I haven’t even tried it on yet!
This is Butterick 4890. I used the colors in the pattern photo because I didn’t feel like doing research to figure out what colors were used back then. In fact, I’m only partially sure this is from the Regency period. They really should put that on the pattern envelope, because people will ask.
I picked this one out because it uses less fabric than those voluminous renaissance costumes, which I thought equaled cheap. What I didn’t take into account was the amount of trim required! It uses 4 kinds of trim, one of which I didn’t even put on (edge of bodice)! And I had the worst time trying to find trims in the right color and style despite going to a Joann superstore. No luck at Hancock’s either. This costume cost me about $70, even though I got everything 40-50% off. The velveteen alone was $35.
I’ll post a pic of me wearing it on Halloween.