Well, I’ve been working on this swimsuit every night this week. I had to stop early tonight because I ran out of navy thread!
So far, I have the lining assembled, the skirt finished and the bust attached. The skirt was a unique experience. I knew I wanted a lot of ruching but was unsure how long a piece I needed to get the amount I wanted. I guessed wrong, but I was using my muslin fabric so it was OK. It did give me a ratio to start with. I ruched a 28″ piece to 10″ but it needed to be 21″ long ruched. I knew there was a ratio involved, but math is not my strength. Luckily, my cousin was home (did I mention he lives with us now), and being a law school graduate and all-around genius, I knew he could help me. We soon realized that 8th grade math was a LONG time ago, because he sat there staring at the numbers on the dry erase board, laughing. I knew we had to solve for X and thought maybe there should be some cross-multiplying involved. Andy wasn’t sure, so he did some complicated stuff, and we came up with the same answer: 58″!
This was a really long piece- about 5′ long! I used the lining piece as a guide for the width of the front skirt, using the narrower top for the first 1/3 of the ruched front, and the wider bottom for the rest:
The center back seam was curved, so I had to keep it for the back skirt. I had moderate success with matching the print. Again, I used the lining piece as a guide.
I’ve got all that sewn together. However, when I attached the bust piece to the front, I realized that its sides needed to be attached to the back. So, I had to rip out a bit of the skirt front, remove it, and attach the bust pieces to that and the sides. Hope that was clear.
So, after I buy more thread, I’ll attach the back band/strap combo, finish the bottoms (attached to the lining), add some elastic, and attach the lining to the main suit. Hopefully it’ll all turn out!