Subversive Sewer

{December 29, 2009}   Vacation Sewing

I’m in the midst of a week and a half off of work!  Sewing time!  To prepare, I ordered some fabric from along with the 11/09 issue of Burda Style, plus a Jalie pattern.  The fabric I ordered was for a couple Simplicity patterns I recently bought.

I ordered some rayon/Lycra jersey to make the dress from 2934:

The plan was to make the dress from the silver-gray and the yoke from the blue.  However, when the fabric arrived, I decided it was too thin for a dress.  Scratch that idea!

Next up, I found this green eyelet embroidered cotton with a scalloped border.  My plan was to make 2690, view B.

Being a bad matcher of pattern and fabric, I decided to make a muslin.  While it was helpful in telling me I needed to add 1 1/2″ of length to the upper bodice, I realized that since it was not the same weight/drape as the eyelet, it wouldn’t tell me if gathering this fabric would make me look preggers or not.  I’m going to err on the side of caution and make something more structured with it instead.

I had planned to make another top, but the fabric was too narrow for it.  Ugh.

But it’s not all bad.  I used the silver/gray knit for the previously mentioned top (I’d give the number, but it’s not on the pile in front of me and I have a cat on my lap), and cut out 2934 from a poly jersey I’d forgotten about.  The Burda Style arrived today and I’m loving that.  I think I might even consider making pants,  which I’d sworn off making since I suck at them so much.  Maybe if I slow down a little, they might turn out better.  Let’s hope!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

et cetera
%d bloggers like this: