I forgot to post this- after several months, I finally finished Sofia’s upholstered headboard!
Overall, it’s not bad! This is my first time making a headboard. I used “casa” satin from Joann’s, which I also used for the curtains (I still need another rod, which is why you don’t see any curtains above the bed.
I learned so many new things while making this. I got to use my new drill to put the holes in it for the tufting. Sofia and I went to Home Depot, found a piece of MDF, and had it cut to the size we needed. My mom had a foam mattress pad that I used for the foam, then covered with scrap batting. I bought a heavy duty stapler, which was surprisingly easy to use. Sofia learned how to cover buttons, which she enjoyed. I struggled with the tufting. After doing some research, I had some direction, but the execution stumped me for several weeks. I couldn’t get the needle back through the hole on the second pass. I tried making the holes bigger, but that didn’t work. When I got motivated to try again, I thought of using a doll crafting needle, the package of which I promptly lost. I still haven’t found them, either! Then it finally hit me: I just needed to press the foam down! Then my needle was easier to “find” on the second pass. I used heavy duty thread, which I tied around a toothpick placed over the drilled hole. After much research, I decided on a heavy duty, 2 piece picture hanger with a built-in level. I drilled into the wall and hung it all by myself! I surprised Sofia with the finished product, and as you can see in the photo, she was really excited! Her room is coming together very well!