Subversive Sewer











{April 24, 2009}   McCall’s 5233

Man, I never thought I would finish this!  It all started when I didn’t buy enough fabric and didn’t have enough for both sleeves.  I cut a swatch of the fabric and it floated around in my purse for AT LEAST 5 months.  Finally I bit the bullet and ordered the 1/2 yard I needed from fabric.com.  Unfortunately, I moved since cutting out the pattern and the envelope got lost!  This is weird, because I rarely lose things.  I felt confident enough to wing it without the instructions instead of buying another copy of the pattern.

m5233

I’m so proud of myself!  (And of Sofia, who took this picture!)  I only made one error- I sewed the wrong edge of the contrast band!  I ended up having to sew both edges together and turn it like a tube.  After pressing it, I then did a stitch along the seam allowance of the edge of the top and serged off 1/2 the seam allowance.  I then turned under and pressed, using that stitching line at a guide.  Finally, I slightly overlapped the band over the top and sewed them together using a patchwork decorative stitch.  I did the same stitch on the other edge of the band for aesthetics.  I edgestitched the belt with pink to tie it all together.

I wore this to work today and had about a half dozen people begging me to make one for them, and another telling me she was going to steal it before the end of the day. 🙂

Advertisements


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

et cetera
%d bloggers like this: