Well, I’m 1 for 3 on Amy Butler patterns! This one, the Business Card Keeper, is available for free on her website. I did not do well with this one, and I’m pretty sure it’s my own errors. Here’s the finished project:
The reason I’m holding it shut is because I messed up the velcro closure. They tell you to measure a certain amount up and over. I did that and centered the velcro over that point. Unfortunately, I missed the second sentence when they tell you to position the velcro above and to the right of that mark. Oops!
Then there was the flap piece. My printer, I learned, is not compatible with Vista, so I was not able to print the pattern for it. Instead, I reduced the pdf to 100% and traced it off the screen. Apparently that does not work, because my flap was about 1/2″ wider than the front and back pieces. So, I centered it over the back piece when I sewed them together. I think that caused me to lose some of the shape of the flap. Here is the finished flap next to the pattern piece, keeping in mind that the seam allowances were 1/2″:
Then there’s the inside. I think my problem was inexact cutting. I noticed a tiny difference in my fabric and interfacing pieces. As you can see in this picture, the card pockets are crooked, and the fabric is not at all smooth throughout. I also forgot to interface the card pocket piece.
I think I’ll try it again after I print off the flap pattern at work (or get a new printer), as the errors seem to be mine, not the pattern’s.